The main reasons for the changes are:
- Jekyll/Ruby is just too slow as a static site generator in development/production.
- Hugo/Go is fast.
- Wanted to try out Netlify.
When I wrote new posts with Jekyll, it was painfully slow to build the site after any small set of changes. With Hugo, it’s really fast. I can pretty much hit command+S, to save all the time and have the page refresh right away.
Some of the challenges I came across were:
- Updating some front matter for pages and posts.
- Find/replace certain strings to improve site as well as front matter.
- Migrating some Ruby syntax to Go (Hugo).
- Figuring out Hugo scopes.
- Learning how to create/use a theme.
- Getting atom feed to work.
I tried out Netlify for the first time and love it. Their tools and interface was very intuitive for building and deploying was pretty straightforward. I also love how easy it was to set up HTTPS (Let’s Encrypt) wit them. And like Github Pages, it’s all free since I currently have no need for the paid features. I look forward to migrating a few other small projects over.