I use 500px to do research on where I want to go take pictures and what kind of shots to do. One in particular compelled me to go to Griffith Park to get a shot of the Griffith Observatory as well as LA’s skyline.
Griffith Observatory Before Sunrise
Buy print: https://500px.com/photo/59933986
Griffith Observatory (After Sunrise)
Buy print: https://500px.com/photo/59957370
I went on a different day and night to get a night shot of the Observatory as well as LA’s skyline (see below). This is my favorite shot, as I consider LA to be more of a city lights kind of city. Any daylight photos would be better served on the beaches of LA.
Griffith Observatory at Night
Buy print: https://500px.com/photo/60086824
On Getting Lost
I got lost twice trying to get to this location.
The first time my GPS took me near a pinned location of where I thought the shot I wanted was taken, but I just didn’t see the view at all. So I went to the Observatory for some simple sunrise shots.
The second time, after more research, I took a bike trail, which is an actual road closed off to cars. I went at 6am and thought it would be easy to find. It wasn’t. I ended up overshooting and hiked nearly four times the distance. Anyway, it turned out that it’s not really the spot I wanted. You can see how far in green below.
The third time was the charm. I went even earlier, at 5:40am. Took the Mt. Hollywood Trail path and found the spot very easily. Unfortunately they were filming Glee at the Griffith Observatory that day and there was a lot of trailers and lights setup in the parking lot. So there was definitely more lights and cars there than I wanted. Only about fifteen parking spots were available to the general public, while the rest of the lot was reserved.
Below is the map of the area and the paths I took:
- Pink, is the original, planned path I wanted to go on.
- Green, is the actual path I went on today. Looks more like I went almost 4 times the distance!
- Blue, is the last path I went on that actually took me to the spot I wanted.
Here is another shot of Griffith Observatory with all the trailers and sets from the Glee crew:
Some observations I’ve made about going to Griffith Park:
- It can be a bit scary hiking in the morning when there’s no sunlight. I did end up purchasing a Energizer Pro 7 LED Headlamp
- No matter how early you get to Griffith Park, someone will be there hiking even earlier.
- Many Koreans and elderly folks are there walking in groups or even as couples.
- There are tons of hiking/biking trails in Griffith Park. I definitely want to go back there with friends.
- At night, there aren’t as many hikers as in the morning.
To see other pictures I’ve take in 2014 in the Los Angeles area, click here.
Update September 10, 2020 - Changed 500pxart.com links to 500px.com