Mac OS X Mavericks is my main operating system now. I still use Windows and Linux a bit, but by far this is where I do most of my work.
I also have a pages for the Best Windows Software and Best Software Development Tools.
For an always up to date list, check out my Best Software List on Github.
Cloud Storage, Sync, and Backup
- Dropbox - Service that keeps your files safe, synced, and easy to share.
- Drobo - Get the software, after the hardware.
- Google Drive - Google’s cloud service tied to your Gmail.
- OneDrive - Microsoft’s cloud service.
Miscellaneous and Utilities
Audio and Video
- Handbrake - Edit/convert videos.
- Livestreamer - Command-line utility that extracts streams from various services and pipes them into a video player of choice.
- Noizio - App that creates ambient sounds of coffee shop, rain, ocean, etc.
- Plex Media Server - Media server for your home videos/photos.
- SoundNode - Soundcloud desktop app.
- Spotify - Music player.
- Spotifree - Mute ads in Spotify.
- Tagger - Batch update your ID3 tags in your music collection (mp3s).
- VLC Media Player - The best video/media player for any OS.
Pictures and Images
- Gimp - Edit pictures, a Photoshop-like program that’s free.
- Google Photos - Google’s photo storage.
- Picasa - Google’s older photo storage service.
- Alfred 2 - Type what you need or what you want to do.
- F.lux - Automatically adjust your computer screen to match lighting.
- Glances - System monitoring tool that runs in terminal.
- Skitch - Edit your screenshot images.
- Slack - Collaboration software for teams.
Best Applications to Buy